Wednesday, November 19, 2014

My patriarch

   Growing up with a Sicilian immigrant father was, let's say, incredibly…different. I've come to realize I've inherited his anxiety, but as a man his anxiety came out as anger. I must say, however, his intentions were good. His methods for making sure his children became successful could be seen as controlling, yet effective. A 66% success rate isn't too shabby. From a young age we were trained to answer the question, "what are you going to be when you grow up?" with the answer, "a doctor!" And my older siblings did become doctors. An optometrist and a dentist with 3 kids each and all marquette graduates, including their spouses. My first semester there I got a 3.98 gpa. I graduated cum laude 4 years later with a psych major and bio minor. Took the MCAT 4 times…got the same score. 16T. 'FML' as they say…wasn't meant to be. From there, a fell. 

   I've fallen before, but this wasn't drugs. This wasn't blaming myself for other people's problems. This was all me. My failure. My hopes and dreams crushed by no one else but myself. After that last test, a year later, I found myself facing criminal charges for possession of THC. Sealing the door on my doctor dreams. No health related school or field will even accept me. Time to move on. But to what?

   I'm incredibly intelligent. I'm book smart, only, however. I wasn't made for physical labor, and i find it hard to work alongside individuals with no education making the same money. I deserve better. My dad deserves a 100% success rate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment